So Hot Right Now: Alkalize
What does it mean to be alkaline, and why would we care so much about it? You may remember in middle school science class, you were probably first introduced to the PH scale and that certain elements and chemicals were more basic or acidic. Water is at a perfectly balanced state of 7 (on a scale from 1-14), and the school of thought is that our body and blood thrives best at a slightly alkaline state, or a little skewed toward basic.
Now, enter real life and the foods that run rampant in the American diet; think caffeine, alcohol, refined sugar, simple carbohydrates, red meat, and processed food. These unfortunate staples in a modern meal plan have in turn made our bodies feel inflamed. When our system is inflamed, it performs poorly and acts in a mode of stress– appearing as extra weight, skin problems, and uncontrollable lethargy, among other daunting symptoms.
The nutrient-dense foods that reflect a more alkaline nature, including fruits and veggies, revitalize you and help you shine in all arenas of your life, which is exactly how you deserve to live–radiating and thriving! And guess what, this kind of big, healing change begins at the GUT.
Here’s how to alkalize your bod:
1. Be Pro-Probiotic. Whether you choose sauerkraut, kimchi, or kombucha, fermented foods are a fantastic way to heal your microbiome. You can also supplement with probiotics in capsule form (make sure they have diverse strains and are kept in the cold aisle of Whole Foods, making them the most potent).
2. Plants on Your Plate. Cauliflower, avocado, cucumber, onions, sweet potatoes, beets, and broccoli are just a few of the standouts that Mother Nature provides for combating inflammation. Beyond a side dish, get creative in the kitchen with vegetables and make them center-stage over the standard slab of meat. Switch it up!
3. Amp up Your AM. Superfoods and herbs can help to expedite your healing process and soothe your adrenals. We love tossing them into daily potions, tonics and smoothies. Read more about all the ones we can’t stop gushing about right now, right here.
4. Fat is Phat. Cheesy, we know– but fat gets a bad rap. The good kind is responsible for upping your HDL levels(the good cholesterol!) and keeping you satiated until your next meal, among other fantastic finds. That satisfaction will prove to help you veer away from the aforementioned processed food that is creating unwanted acidity in your gut.
5. Choose to Cleanse. Part of the struggle that arises with a body out of whack is the toxins that stubbornly chill in all the nooks and crannies of your insides, leading to hiccups in the chemical processes and reactions that occur behind the scenes each day. Daily rituals of cleansing will tune-up your system and provide a vibrant clarity beyond one you may not have ever envisioned!
This is just the tip of the iceberg! If you want to transform your routine to find ultimate wellness, we invite you to explore our programs to get all good +glowy!!! Connect with us today?